Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Art Exhibition and Maybe a Video Tutorial

The Newport Beach Art Exhibition was a lot of fun. I didn't win any prizes but I'm not too disapointed because all of the art there was excellent! 

Here I am at the exhibition with my two pieces in the background.
If you want to see more of the exhibition, here is their website. I think they will be posting this year's winners on there at some point.

As I work on writing patterns for my two little dolls that appeared in my exhibition pieces, I am trying to find a good way to show the process of making their wire armatures. A detailed photo tutorial might be good, but a video sounds even better!

For the past few years, almost every time I've wanted to learn how to do something I've been able to find the perfect YouTube tutorial: from hairstyles to changing a vaccuum cleaner belt. The one thing I haven't learned yet is how to make a good YouTube video! A lot of good video tutorials for crafting have the camera focused on the person's hands, creating a similar view to what you see when you are looking at your own hands while doing a project. I tried setting up a regular-sized camera tripod next to my desk while making the armatures, but the trouble was in order to get a good view I had to put the camera right where I normally sit and then stand awkwardly over it, which made it nearly impossible to make anything! If only I had cameras in my eyes they would be just perfect for the look that I want to create!


My next idea was to order this cute little table-top tripod. It shouldn't be in the way as much as a full-sized one, and the legs are very flexible so I can easily control the camera angle.  I have yet to test it out, but if it works and the tutorial turns out well, I might want to make more videos in the future. We'll see! 


I'll see you next week, with dreams of contact lense cameras and video tutorials until then!

8 comments:

  1. Nice photo of you at the exhibition. Your pieces look lovely and fit well with the others. I got a tabletop tripod at the dollar store a while back. It's the perfect size for photographing miniature scenes. I look forward to seeing your video! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to know the tabletop tripod was a good investment. I should have checked the dollar store, mine was over 2 dollars but I that still didn't seem too bad!

      Delete
  2. The exhibit looks incredible. Your pieces look right at home in the artsy scene! I'm glad you are going to make a video. Those are so helpful. I'd love to learn how you make your dolls. You look great!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope the video turns out well. I love to see other people's videos on how they do their art so I hope I will be able to inspire people the same way!

      Delete
  3. Assunta,

    You look so pretty! I'm glad you entered the exhibit and had a good time. Even if you didn't win any prizes this time, I know you, there's no stopping you now! I did like you sculptures a lot, especially the girl sitting on the moon. Keep up the good work!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of the judges did come up to me at the end and say they really liked my work. So that meant a lot even without the prize. It means a lot to hear positive things from family, friends, and blog readers, too!

      Delete
  4. What a great exhibit - so much talent on display, especially yours! It looks like you had a great time, I'm looking forward to seeing your video - xox Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a lot of fun! I hope the video turns out well with the new tripod. I'll try to post it next week if it does!

      Delete