Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Guatemala's Tradition of Textiles

My recent visit for Guatemala was wonderful, for many reasons. The food was simple but delicious, the people friendly and kind (though some of them can be very aggressive sales people!) and the bathrooms cleaner than I would often expect in the US. But for me the best part was that everywhere you look you can buy handwoven works of art, and even learn a little about how they are made!

One day, we visited a weaving cooperative, where twenty women make woven works of art by hand. Here are all the things they need to make yarn: 


All of the white and brown fluffy stuff is cotton. The little black spots in the bowl near the top left are cotton seeds that are picked out before the fiber is spun into yarn. Next, they spread out the cotton as shown above and beat it with one of the forked sticks to soften it up. Then it is ready for spinning!

This lady is spinning the cotton into thread on a spindle. I got a chance to try and it seemed much more difficult than my drop spindle, because it kept wanting to spin right out of the bowl! The women who work in the cooperative are pros at it, though.


Once there is enough yarn for a skein, it's time to dye! Just about any color can be made from plants, tree bark or even bugs! It's pretty amazing. In order to help the color stick, the yarn is first dipped into a bowl of clear stuff (which I think was banana sap, but I don't remember for sure) before being soaked in the dye. The darker you want the color to be, the longer it needs to soak. Then it is hung up to dry!


I was inspired so I bought two skeins of yarn at the cooperative. Two skeins was only 30 Quetzales, which is less than $4! It's a very thin lace weight but there is a lot on a skein, perfect for a lace shawl.




On another day we visited a pueblo, or village, called San Antonio Aguas Calientes. They are considered the best weavers in the country because they are the only pueblo whose weaving is double-sided! Backstrap looms, like the one this lady is using, are very common. There are also big floor looms, but those are mosly used for weaving very large pieces.


Everywhere we went in Guatemala we saw women wearing traditional hand-woven garments like what you see in these pictures. I loved all the bright colors! Unfortunately, it is much less common to see a man in traditional clothing.

Where do you like to go when you travel? Where have you met people who inspire your creativity? 

-Assunta




6 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful photos! So much work! I do much less on my vacations. I just sit on the beach. LOL! I'm a total beach bum!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing wrong with relaxing on the beach, that sounds like an awesome vacation too! :)

      Assunta

      Delete
  2. Assunta,

    It sounds like you had a great time and learned a few things too! Those women look like they'd be a lot of fun to craft with! I envy you! What are you going to do with your yarn?
    When I travel, which isn't often, I like to go places where there are crafts that the local people make too! Also, I like to eat the local food and relax as much as possible. Looking at all the wonderful sights is also something that makes me happy!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful vacation to me! Going to a beautiful place with good food is definitelly a must :) I haven't decided exactly what I want to make yet. I might make something from my Jane Austen knitting book, because there is lots of pretty lacey stuff in there. Were just saw "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" so I have Jane Austen on the brain (pun intended.)

      Delete
  3. Guatemala looks like textile heaven! The colors and weaving techniques are amazing. I can't wait to see what you make with the skeins you bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I don't know if they would let me, but I keep thinking it would be fun to study in one of the weaving co-ops for awhile next time I go. Then I can practice my Spanish while I'm crafting!

      Delete