Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sculpture 2: Part 2

My little guy is slowly coming along! I still have a long way to go before he's finished, but at least now his torso is complete and he has one cute little knobby knee! 


His house was what I really spent my time on this week. First, I started painting it "Empire Gold." After the first coat I decided the walls needed more texture, since I was trying to give them a stucco-like appearance. I crinkled up a piece of tissue paper and wrapped it around the house like so:





When I painted over the tissue paper, the texture looked much better.


The roof was the part that took the most time. I wanted to make a clay tile roof and decided to use bubble tea straws for the tiles. I had a packet of straws, so I took some and cut them in half lengthwise, then I cut along the length to make short tiles. I glued them to the roof so that they overlap like real roof tiles.



After the glue had dried, I mixed a few drops of black paint in with red to make the color resemble terra-cotta. (It looks much brighter in this picture than in person.)


 Don't worry, I haven't forgotten windows and doors on the house, this is just as far as I've gotten this week!


Keep following your dreams and I'll see you next week!


7 comments:

  1. Looking great! The bubble tea straws idea is brilliant! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how the roof is turning out! :)

      Assunta

      Delete
  2. I love the way this project is coming along. The "stucco" looks real - great idea to use tissue paper for texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I acutally got the idea from helping paint my aunt and uncle's house a few years ago. I think it worked well!

      Assunta

      Delete
  3. Assunta,

    Your little guy is really starting to look like a man! I love watching how things are coming along!
    At first the bubble tea straws on the house's roof confused me, until I saw them painted. What a brilliant idea! Plus, it makes it lighter weight too, which is a plus, I'm sure!

    I can't wait to see what your next update is!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just wait until you see his legs, they are turning out pretty cute! Haha, I know the bubble tea straws don't look like much until they are painted, but they are just the right shape to be roof tiles.

      Assunta

      Delete