Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Fixing up my Sewing Corner

This is what my sewing corner looked like until recently. Not bad, but I thought it would be fun to spruce it up a bit!


The first thing I did was turn my desk toward the wall. This way I can have art up behind it and when I film a tutorial the viewer won't be staring right at the entertainment center! I still get plenty of daylight from the window and patio door.


I got this little shelving unit and some cute wicker drawers from IKEA for my yarn, fabric, and sewing basket. The empty cube will be for patterns and possibly other craft supplies. The plastic drawers are being reused elsewhere in the apartment. (One is still mostly full of craft supplies, and my sweetie has filled the other with computer things).

My familiar, Chester, approves of the new organizations system! He has also finally started using his cat bed, although he prefers to sleep on top of rather than inside it. Luckily, he doesn't sit on my table while I am working now that he has his own space.


 To protect the top of my shelf from cat footprints, I picked up some vinyl fabric from Joann's that looks like lace but is much easier to clean! These pretty silver hanging baskets also came from IKEA. I am keeping spools of thread in one and sewing tools in the other.


I even have an extra hook for my scissors!


I might want more shelves and baskets soon, but I like how things are coming along. Right now the next step is to get my patterns organized so I can actually find them. Right now they are in some old paper folders that are falling apart, but I have a cute new binder to put them in. It's so much fun to have a fresh, bright crafting space!

Where is your favorite place to create?

Assunta







6 comments:

  1. Nice redecorating! Your craft space is both functional and attractive! Isn't IKEA awesome? I like to craft in a comfy, supportive chair. :-) xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it is so much fun to go there and be inspired by all the cool stuff! I also like the feeling that I'm putting together a big LEGO set when I'm assembling IKEA furniture. It's a pretty fun way to jazz up a space!

      Delete
  2. Assunta,

    Your sewing area does look a lot better! Having functional, yet pretty places to put all your stuff makes your sewing/crafting area so much more enticing to be in!

    Although my sewing/crafting room is still in disarray, putting up my thread spool holder and the new curtains makes it a lot more pleasant.

    I love your baskets! I might have to get something like that for my shelving unit.

    Daddy Cat put a trellis up outside of my sewing window for my new Star Jasmine plant to grow up, so I have a pretty view, rather than having to gaze upon the neighbors trash! It really makes a world of difference.

    When Momma Cat is happy she's much more creative!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I'm more creative when I'm happy too! It's hard to relax and let your imagination run when you have to look at garbage or your space is a mess. I'm sorry your crafting room is still cluttered (mostly my fault, I know) but I love your thread spool holder and new curtains, and your trellis sounds beautiful! I do recommend the baskets, they are useful and cute! They also have an extra wide one that you can fit more stuff into, and I've been thinking I might get one of those next if I need more space.

      Delete
  3. You've fashioned a great crafting space, Assunta - very creative use of storage units and IKEA items. Thanks for showing us. Also, I like the way Chester coordinates, color-wise, with his bed. :) In the second-to-the-last photo it looks like he might even be in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to choose a color yarn that wouldn't show Chester's hair too badly :) He will now sleep on top of the bed but not inside it, so I'm just leaving it flat for now and feeling glad that he's using it at all!

      Delete