Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Rainbow Hello Kitty Doll Dress

What's better than rainbows and Hello Kitty? I can't think of many things. My mom found this incredibly cute instant-dress fabric at Joann's and made me a shirt out of it while I was visiting Portland a few weeks ago. I even had enough left over to make a little dress for someone special!


This is Puku, my favorite doll since I was about two, and I think this is her original outfit:


I had a piece left over from the gathered top of the fabric. I measured it on Puku to see how much I wanted to leave gathered. 


I decided to leave the first three rows of elastic and take the rest out.


Then I ironed out the gathers on the skirt.


Last I sewed up the back, hemmed the bottom, and added some ribbon straps.


Puku feels very festive and summery in her new dress!

Dreaming of cute fashions and summer colors,

-Assunta





6 comments:

  1. Adorable! Now you and Puku match! Love it! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's been many years since we've had matching outfits! :)

      Delete
  2. What a cute doll dress! that was a great idea to unpick the elastic from all but the first three rows and iron the rest of the fabric to make a skirt. It turned out beautifully. You even got an entire Hello Kitty face on the front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The full Hello Kitty face was actually just luck because of the piece of fabric that I had left over, but I'm really happy with how it turned out!

      Delete
  3. Assunta,

    I remember the day we bought Puku at Clackamas Town Center, at a store called Imaginarium! I'm so glad you still love her, and I love that you two have matching dresses!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite remember but I love the story of how I named her, haha! Thanks!

      Delete