Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Glitter, Glitter Everywhere!

While I was in Portland for the holidays my sister-in-law mentioned that she would like to get a hot pink tutu for my adorable baby niece. I said I could make one, and found a couple of spools of pink tulle at Joann's that were the perfect color. What I didn't realize was that the fabric was glittery, which  made the tutu exta magical looking, but also extra messy!


I made the tutu pretty simple, I just folded a few layers of tulle over an elastic band and stitched through both layers. The first tutorial I tried was a no-sew pattern that recommended tying the tulle around the elastic. It looked great in the designer's pictures but it worked out differently for me. The knots stretched out the elastic too much and left gaps. I tried sewing instead and was much more successful. Now it's time for lots of vaccuming and mopping to get rid of all the glitter in the house! Right now it looks like we've had a visit from a pixie, or as a friend put it "like you killed a vampire." Either way, it gets everywhere.

Have a very sparkly (or not, if you prefer) week!

Assunta

4 comments:

  1. I've been lucky enough to see this tutu, and it's lovely! The baby likes wearing it so much that now she almost always has a spot or two of hot pink glitter on her head :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute, I can't wait to see her in it and I'm glad she likes wearing it! That glitter does get everywhere, though. I'm still finding more everytime I sweep the floor!

      Delete
  2. Assunta,

    Baby Mary must look lovely in her new tutu! She is such a little beauty anyway, just like her Aunt! I think the tutu turned out great!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is beautiful, though I can't reasonable take credit for that. I can only make her gifts that complement her natural cuteness!

      Delete