Friday, March 6, 2015

My Entry for the Newport Beach Art Exhibition: Part 1

I recently recieved a call to artists for the annual Newport Beach Art Exhibition and decided to try a mixed-media sculpture to enter! My idea is to show dreamlike image of a young woman in pajamas (possibly with wings) sitting or standing on a crescent moon.

The project is a still in its beginning stages, but here is a sneak peak at what it looks like right now!

Here is the moon, carved from styrofoam, textured in paper maché, and with a coat of white paint. I may add some more color to it, but I haven't decided exactly what I want to do yet.

 

I put on one very rough layer of paper maché to give the moon texture, then a second much smoother layer to regularize the texture and make sure it didn't look like an accident!

And here is my character in her beginning stages. She is made of crochet thread around a wire armature to make her fully posable. I don't usually make dolls this small and this is the first time I have started one with a wire skeleton, so I am excited to see how she turns out!

                                  

So far I love the structure that the armature gives the doll. I think makes her feel a little more real. I also like how the armature acts as a 3-dimensional "sketch" of the doll's shape that I can trace as I crochet her outer skin. Creating a detailed face at this small scale may be a challenge. I have some ideas, though, which you will see soon! Keep following your dreams, I'll see you Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Assunta,

    Your sculpture is coming right along, isn't it? I can't wait to see what develops. Your crocheted doll is very nicely done, and looks a bit complicated. I think she's beautiful so far!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting concept, Assunta, and I find it especially fascinating to get to see your sculpture as a work in progress. I can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I can't wait to see more on this project. Your doll already looks so cute! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete