Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Doll Armature Video Tutorial!

I've finally finished my doll armature video tutorial! This video took a long time to make because I had to re-record the voiceover several times until it sounded okay. I'm not sure if it's my sound equipment of my actual voice, but when I talk naturally I sound to myself like a very little girl talking through a very big stuffy nose and when I attempt the Batman/Rorshcach voice I sound more like a normal person. I still ended up sounding more sad and bored than I should have, but I should get better at this with more practice.

The little tripod was a huge help for getting a better angle on the work while I'm doing it. In the past I just used the built-in webcam on my laptop, meant I had to hold everything up to the screen while I was working on it and my arms got tired! That inexpensive little tripod was definitely worth the small investment!

I've tried my hand at making videos a couple times in the past with "okay" results. I used to try and do the audio and visual stuff all at once, which makes editing nearly impossible and lets in a lot of awkward background noise, like when I accidentally kick a table leg or drop something. This time, I broke the process up into multiple steps that took a lot longer but also yielded much better results:
      1. I filmed the construction process of the project without talking at all.
      2. I plugged my camera into my computer and brought the video into iMovie. Then I separated the audio (just background noise like the clock ticking and me scooting supplies across the table) from the video and deleted all that.
      3. Next I used iMovie to record a voice-over describing the process shown in the video. This made it much easier to edit the sound and video independently of each other, and eliminated any unnecessary background noise because I was able to keep completely still since I didn't need to build the project while talking about it. This also let me easily re-record the audio when I needed and eliminated a lot of stuttering since I am not the best at trying to work and talk at the same time!
      4. Lastly, I added in background music with a title and credits.

Well, that's about it. I hope this helps someone like me who is trying to figure out how to get started on Youtube. Or, if a Youtube expert sees this and has any tips on how I could do better, let me know (nicely, of course)!

Without further ado, here is my new tutorial!



I'll see you next week, with dreams of dolls and video editing!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of the great tips, Baby Cat. I will refer to this post when the time comes. Great skill to have--give yourself a pat on the back, my friend! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked the video! I'm sure there is still some improving I can do, but I think this is a huge step forward from my earlier videos.

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial - and thanks for sharing your tips on how you made it. What a brilliant idea to separate the audio from the video! I'm going to keep this for future reference.

    - Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it really helped the video a lot to do those separately. Adam says he can recommend me some audio-editing software that should help make it so that I don't have to talk weirdly to make my voice sound okay. Hopefully I will have that for the next video, it sounds really helpful!

      Delete
  3. Assunta,

    I don't know how you came up with this idea, but it's brilliant! I can't wait to see what you dream up next!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure, I just started thinking of the doll as a sculpture that I wanted to pose in a particular way, and making a bendable armature seemed like a good way to go!

      Delete