Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Handspun Yarn for My Mom!

My mom is one of my very best friends, and she's also the one who taught me to sew and crochet! Ever since I started learning to spin, I have had an idea in my head to make beautiful yarn for her. Of course, it took me a few test skeins to get to gift-worthy yarn, but I think I finally did it. My mom's birthday was yesterday, November 22nd, and this is what I gave her:


I even made my own custom label, but I must give credit to Blarney Yarn for her super-soft wool blend and gorgeous hand-painted autumn colors.


You may recognize this wool from my past post on the Vista Fiber Fiesta!



I spun and plied the yarn on my trusty Ashford spindle.


Stretching the yarn out on my noddy-noddy showed the colors to their best advantage and got it ready to soak. 


Yarn soup! Soaking the yarn helped clean it and set it.


Last, I hung it to dry on a hook that was left in front of what will soon be my craft room. (I can't wait to repaint or replace that door, though!)

What do you think? I want to try dyeing my own yarn next!

-Assunta

PS- I had a great time at Hearts & Hands on Saturday. I brought a friend and we each made a few spool knit hats for refugees. Making the hats was fun, but the best part was being around people from different backgrounds all working together and using their creativity to help others! It was wonderful to see!




4 comments:

  1. Assunta,

    The handspun yarn is extremely beautiful! I really love it and am trying to think of a project worthy of it! You are the best daughter ever, and my best friend too! I love you!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you are the best mom and I love you too! Don't wait too long for the perfect project. I can always make you more yarn but I won't if you never use it, haha :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful yarn - and it looks expertly spun. I was lucky enough to get to see it, and now I can't wait to see what your mom decides to make with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know about expertly spun, but I am definitely improving with practice! I'm looking forward to seeing what my mom decides to make too!

      Delete