Wednesday, May 13, 2015

I know, it's not a sculpture...

My second sculpture for the Newport Beach Art Exhibition is almost done! In fact it's so close that it seems like a waste to show you 98% of a sculpture today and make you wait a week to see it fully completed and looking only slightly different.
Instead, I decided to take a break from that to show you a sneak peak of what will hopefully be my next project.
This picture is the property of Gardiner Yarn Works.
This is what my project will hopefully look like when it's done if I do it right.
I remember instantly loving this beautiful, light and airy lace wrap when I saw it in a yarn store several years ago. I bought the pattern and yarn, and soon started to hate it, due to the sheer number of stitches, the complexity of the pattern, and how easy it was to accidentally break the delicate lace thread I was using. After having my butt kicked by this pattern (and putting it aside for a few years) I decided to give it another try. I probably shouldn't even be showing it to anyone before it's done. I may have to erase some memories if this wrap doesn't make it to completion. However, I think it's a good sign that I've already made it father than my first attempt. Here are the first fourteen rows:


I don't have any concrete plans for what to do with the wrap once it's done. I will probably keep it if I'm not sick of looking at it by then. Until next week, dream lots of light and floaty dreams and I will have a finished sculpture for you soon!

4 comments:

  1. That pattern looks very beautiful - and challenging! I'll look forward to seeing the wrap when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I'll have it done by the time we visit Portland so I can show it to you in person. I won't promise anything yet, though. For every 5 rows I complete there's at least one I have to undo to find out why I don't have the right number of stiches!

      Delete
  2. Assunta,

    It's hard for me to imagine that any pattern could kick your butt! But, I think I can relate. I had a similar experience when I crocheted your wedding stole. I almost gave up! This just proves that you are as stubborn as I am when it comes to letting something get the better of you! Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the finished shawl.

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stubborness does run in the family! I think the biggest challenge is being patient when you want to get the thing done and keep having to backtrack!

      Delete