Wednesday, October 7, 2015

New Toys and the Vista Fiber Arts Festival

A few weeks ago I bought this cute little drop spindle of Etsy to try my hand at making my own yarn!  I've practiced a little bit with it and it's a lot of fun, although it's very tricky to try and keep the weight of the yarn even. I remember when I first learned to crochet, though. It took me a long time to get my stitches even back then, so after enough practice I should be able to get my yarn even too.


This weekend I went to the Vista Fiber Arts Festival with a couple friends. I saw many wonderful things, including this beautiful spinning wheel which I had to resist buying:


...and these adorable baby alpacas:


I ended up buying some gorgeous hand-dyed wool. The booth was called Blarney Yarn, and it was so hard to choose between all of the amazing colors, but this is the one I bought. I love this blend of rich purples and sunny yellow.


My other new toy is this tiny scale. It's meant for weighing small amounts of yarn to see if you have enough to finish your project. It's also perfect for calculating shipping prices for tiny Etsy items. My previous method of holding something in my hand and thinking "Yep, that's definitely less than a pound." wasn't quite cutting it. 



Well, that was my weekend, how was yours? 

-Assunta

4 comments:

  1. Great finds at the Fiber Arts Festival! Too bad you couldn't buy the baby alpacas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I joked with Adam about Chester needing a baby brother, but we would need more time and space to care for an alpaca. Maybe next time I'll try for an angora rabbit instead!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful yarn! The baby alpacas are adorable!!! Cool scale! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete